Travel Tips on Lombok
Please read this travel tips carefully for the convenience during your trip in Lombok and Indonesia
- You must have at least 6 (six) months validity of passport to enter Indonesia.
- Visa On Arrival (VOA) can be obtain at Mataram Airport.
- According to customs regulations, one adult is allowed to bring into Indonesia a maximum of one liter of alcoholic beverages, 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 1000 grams of tobacco, and reasonable amount of perfume.
- Photographic, video and filming equipment radios, typewriters, and cars are admitted provide they are recorded in your passport on entry and taken out of the country on departure.
- Narcotic, firearm and ammunition, TV set, and Chinese medicine are strictly prohibited.
- Fresh fruit, plants and animals must be passed by Quarantine Office.
- Peel the fruit before eating; avoid raw vegetables except at reputable restaurants. Ice in restaurants is safe.
- Drink always from bottled water and eat well done cooking food, unless when eating at recommended restaurants/cafes or hotel’s outlet.
- Street or beach vendors are often pushing too hard on selling and most visitors feel inconvenient. Never try to look at any of their item/s even they might be interesting to you, even this could be fun for those who want to learn about bargaining tactic. For most visitors this is hassling.
- Protect yourself from the intense equatorial sun. Use sun block and hat.
- Sexually transmitted diseases are increasing in Indonesia. Local sex workers have multiple partners from all over the world. Act responsibly and use condoms, available over the counter at pharmacies.
- Due to the limited number of flights to Lombok, during the peak season we highly recommend you to make flight booking far in advanced. Don’t forget to ask your local tour operator to re-confirm your ticket minimum 24 hours in advanced to ensure yourself to get seats.
DURING YOUR TRIP TO GILI ISLANDS
- Do not let the local porters carry your bags for whatever reason. This guys are usually try to be gentle or act like a boatman crew. They often charge an expensive and unreasonable amount. If you have to pay, a regular porter cost is about Rp. 1000-2000/bag.
- Do not buy any mosquitoes coil from some kids at the harbor, as they are trying to sell things at the highest they can. There are lots of shops on the Islands selling those stuffs with better prices.
- Do not try to look at the things that they offers, and do not make any promises to say “maybe later”. Those guys can recognize your face and ask for the promises.
- When you returned from the Islands, many kids brings water to wash your foot. At first you may feel convenient, but at the end they ask some money. Give them some school needs i.e: pens, or writing book. It’s better not to let them do anything to you.
- Carry small changes to pay public buses or taxi. Call the taxi operator: 627000 (lombok taxi) if you need to be picked up. If you have to go by private car, try to fix the price first rather than argue at the end of the journey.
- Stonefish are found on the coral reefs where they are camouflaged and almost invisible. They are poisonous if stepped on.
- Also, be aware of strong currents while swimming or snorkeling. It is best to ask the advice of a dive master before swimming alone.
- Jelly Fish is almost invisible on the water. It looks like a crystal/plastic, but very dangerous.
- Some kind of jelly fish is making your skin itchy, and some are poisoning.
- Use a high protection of Sun Cream. The weather can be very hot on the afternoon.
- Do not leave any valuable belongings unattended at the beach while swimming or snorkeling. Ask for a deposit box at the hotel where you stay.
TRAVELLING OVER LOMBOK
- Visitor can explore the tiny island by using various kind of transportation such as: Chartered/Car Hire, Taxi, Bus, Bemo/Angkot (local’s public transportation) and Motorcycle.
- Taxis operated from all major hotels and airport with rate varying according to destination.
- Taxi companies in Lombok are Lombok Taxi (627000), Lendang Express (634444) and Airport Taxi.
- Taxis are metered and charged accordingly to distances.
- Public Transportation or known locally as “Bemo”, a non-AC minivan (in yellow colour) are available in major town i.e: Mataram, Ampenan and Cakranegara, founded in every corner of the island with quite inexpensive price. They take and drop off local passenger and often load over capacity, without travel insurance coverage.
- For those who prefer to travel more privately, car-hire option or charter or motorbike rental may be the choice. We also provide car and motorbike hire service. Click here to see the service.
- An international drivers license is required, but one can apply for temporary permit in Lombok and go for test driver in tourist driving license office in Jalan Langko Mataram Lombok.
- It is compulsory to wear a crash helmet while you ere on the road on a motorbike. Helmets are available at motorbike hire outlets. Small horse drawn carts called Cidomo serve as convenient transportation during off hours and off the beaten track.
RAMADHAN (FASTING) BREAK
Most tourist facilities in Lombok (Gili Islands & Senggigi) remain open during Ramadhan. Local Restaurants might close in residential area in Mataram or Cakranegara to respect the majority of Moesleem Fasting. Tourist are Please read this travel tips carefully for the convenience during your trip in Lombok and Indonesia.